Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Freeze-Dried Food Review - ReadyHour

 ReadyHour freeze dried foods are bulk foods, meaning most packages of food contain serving sizes of at least 4. If you're feeding a family of four this is fine, but if you've less than that in your group you run the risk of some of the food going to waste. Most freeze dried meals don't provide left over storage options for later re-heating.

#1 - Mac and Cheese



Summed up in one word; blech!  I purchased the Ready Hour 72 emergency food pack which is what they consider to be their sampler pack (no free options offered). I cooked up this insufficient meal and gave it a go. Disclaimer: I followed the directions specifically. This particular meal differed from the others I'd sampled so far; you didn't pre-boil the water according to ReadyHour's instructions, and you use 4.5 cups to heat. You then boil the whole thing, cook for 15-20 minutes (mine cooked for 17 at a near boil), stirring all the while, then let sit 3 to 4. I did all of these religiously.


Specifics:

  • Price: $27.49 for the whole kit.
  • Serving size: 4 per bag
  • Calories: 310 per serving.

Cons:

  • Preparation; as indicated above the prep was different than most other dehydrated meals. I was wondering, while I cooked this, why didn't I just cook up a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese instead? In fact, aside from the claim that this meal will last in proper storage for 25 years, prep is really no different than Kraft or other store-bought Mac and Cheese.
  • Taste and Texture: I let this pot sit for 5 minutes and it was still cheese-flavored noodle soup. I added some shredded sharp cheddar cheese to assist with the consistency.
  • To me this is worth putting on this list again; store bought Mac & Cheese tastes better in addition to the preparation comment above.

Pros:

  • Shelf life: Yeah, if I had this in my storage and 12 years down the road it was between this and starving, I'm sure the box of Kraft would be long gone so ReadyHour Mac and Cheese it is.
  • Noodles: The noodles cooked up well, fluffy and didn't taste too bad.

Overall Rating: 3

---------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment